Friday, August 1, 2014

RUMPS

Today, we wrapped up a project called RUMPS. this project was started during June by two fellow volunteers, Whitney and Cristina.  I was lucky enough to be able to jump in right before the exciting stuff happened. The last week Whitney, Cristina, and I have been working on cutting out fabric for reusable menstral pads, RUMPS! When we met with the girls last week we began with some education about what a menstral cycle is and what happens. Here in Uganda girls don't know anything. No one has pads, because they are too expensive. You would think they would use something, but no they don't. Also talking about it is just not done! So when a girl starts her period she is doesn't know what to do. Her mother may tell her a few things, but most just go in blind. 

Here I am talking about female anatomy and common symptoms. The girls thought I was really funny, but I am not sure how much they understood. The second day of education was much better. I taught the same things, but I had a better idea of how to explain myself to them. After some repetition and a diagram I think we covered everything important.  

                                

The group that we partnered with is called Daughters of Zion. The chapter head is a woman named Barbra. She is absolutely amazing! She works to empower young girls. She specifically teaches them skills to help them be financially independent. So we decided to team up with Barbra to teach the girls how to make these pads.
         

We felt like this would not only help the girls personally, but also encourage them to help their sister, mothers, and friends deal with their own menstral cycles. The head female teacher told us that girls often stop coming to school when they start their periods because they do not have any pads to use. They don't want to be embarassed so they just stop coming. The girls that do continue to come to school just let the blood collect on their skirts. You can image that most just stay home...We are hoping that with these kits, girls will be able to stay in school without embarassment!!! 

Each girl sewed a liner, made out of flannel that serves as the pad part. Then on the next day they sewed the shield that holds the liner in place. 

                                

                                


Theese girls were champions! They were so quick to pick up on the idea of the pads. I have to take a minute to thank my mother. She spent many hours teaching me how to sew, and today it paid off! I was able to teach 53 girls how to make something that will totally change their lives! Thanks Mom!!! ;) 
     

       

At the end of the three day work shop we have each girl a premade kit straight from the US.Whitney had some amazing friends and family members that made enough reusable pads to hand out to every girl we worked with. Each kit comes with 1 shield, 7 liners, and and some soap! The girls went crazy! They were so grateful and excited! I got a little mad in that tiny room, but it was so touching to feel their love. 
        

It is amazing how close I feel to these beautiful ladies! Working with them the last few weeks has made me feel so proud to be a woman! I want to help every girl to feel confident especially in her own skin! There is so much we can do to help young ladies develop confidence and life skills! 

       

       

        

Today I am proud to be a HELP volunteer! 
Today I am proud to be a woman!!! ;) 






1 comment :

  1. I've read this post several times. I keep coming back to words of a hymn:
    "The errand of angels is given to women;
    And this is a gift that, as sisters, we claim:
    To do whatsoever is gentle and human,
    To cheer and to bless in humanity's name"

    Thank you Elaine, for setting such a wonderful example.

    ReplyDelete