Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Adventure is Out There



I am back y'all! I am sorry that I abandoned you to other internet distractions, but never fear I am back and ready to write once again. It has been a crazy month. Finals, finals, and more finals! Then packing, driving (26 hours with my parents...yikes! hahaha just kidding it was awesome), settling in to a new job and lifestyle. Since that we have had many adventures.

Ten days ago, Sharon and I were going for our morning bike ride when the planets aligned for a small catastrophe and Sharon ended the morning in the ER getting 11 stitches in her chin. I was feeling pretty bad, maybe I could have done something different to change the situation. However, this train of thought got me nowhere and it didn't change anything. After a good nap and some food, we both started to feel like this was a pretty awesome adventure. We had taken a risk (which is pretty much the choice we make as we walk out the front door, or come to think of it even if we never leave...life is just plain risky) and we came back bruised, broken, and scarred but we came back! We saw some beautiful things along the ride! We met some great nurses and doctors. Sharon showed her boys how to be brave, strong, and face some real fears.

This morning, we went on our first bike ride since the crash and we made it! I witnessed a sunrise that was glorious and the cranes that lined the lake edge were the only others to witness the beauty. Sharon did a hard thing this morning! I was pretty terrified too (not to mention that everyone we talked to about the crash told some horrible story about someone dying...so yeah...that was helpful!) but we did it and we will ride again! 

While I was riding I was thinking about the adventures I have had in my life. Some of them were planned, some were hoped for, and others hit me in the face completely unexpected (this one is most common since I do have a tendency to fall off of things). A while back I wrote my best friend who was on a mission for our church in Las Vegas, NV. I explained that my new goal was to have an adventure each day of my life. Many days have passes since then and I have had many adventures. I am excited for the many more that are to come. Since writing that letter to Taylor I have hiked mountains, watched dolphins swim, passed some finals, made new friends, gotten lost, admitted fault, played finger puppets, and given lots of hugs. Adventure is out there! Trust me, I know what I'm talking about.

(Picture found here.)

I want to challenge you to see the daily adventures in your life. Even the day that "shower" is only thing that gets done from your to-do-list, find the adventure! Help others find the adventures and live their dreams! 

In July I planning an adventure to Uganda. I am volunteering with Help International in a small community in Uganda. I will be teaching, building, and making a ton of new friends. I am so excited, and although this adventure has taken the most amount of planning so far you don't have to fly thousands of miles to find adventure. The real adventure that I look forward to is possibly making a difference in a small number of people. You can do this too! Join me in the adventure of a lifetime as we focus on loving and supporting the people we come in contact with! I have a great opportunity to travel to a place I have been kind of obsessed with since I decided that giraffes are the best animals ever and I am so excited! I get to plan my own project, all my own! So, of course, I will e focusing on development of healthy body image and self esteem! Seriously, did you even have to guess? :) 

My project will help young girls develop the know how and confidence to make tough decisions that will benefit their futures. Many young women in Uganda do not how what opportunities are available to them. They make choices because they don't know or believe that they deserve better. A cycle of poverty and often abuse will trap these girls. Then become mothers and the cycle continues. Many girls do not think they deserve a better life, but we are going to change that view! With your help and support I will be able to change the lives of a few people. The thoughts and comments you have given to answer my questions will be helpful in developing my project!    

Join me in the adventure! To help me make a difference go to THIS Help International website and donate now! Be sure to specify that you are supporting Elaine Newton on her trip to Uganda! Plus any donation is tax deductible! Or visit my pledgie page

Thanks so much for your support and love in everything and stay tuned for more adventures! 

What comes to mind when you hear the word adventure?     


2 comments :

  1. What comes to mind when I hear the word adventure? Well, not a picture of you in that helmet! =) But you are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, what does come to mind? I always wonder...you have had some "adventures" that others would called great adventures, but you have also had some that I would consider more daring and courageous. What comes to your mind from all the memories?

    ReplyDelete