Wednesday, July 16, 2014

First Day in Uganda

Okay so I am offically in the house. The trip was pretty uneventful, thank goodness. I am super tired and I am stoked for sleep tonight. Amsterdam was wonderful and I actually ran into a friend. Can you even believe that? A friend of a freind was on my flight from Hoouston to Amsterdam, but we didn't make the connection until after while we were getting off the plane. She walked and talked with me for about an hour, which was really wonderful! It was seriously wonderful to chat with someone that I knew. Then I walked around and loked at things. 

The flght to Uganda was long and I was really really tired. Finally I got to Ugagnda and Jess was there just like she promised. I was so relieved! We slept in Entebbe and the next morning we headed out to Mbale. It was a crazy bus ride.  There is no personal space in Uganda and some people are really excited to help a white person. Jess and I were the only white people for miles. This one guy keep trying to get me to try a bunch of foodie others tried to teach me their native language. I am horrible, but I have only been here for a day. 

When we got off the bus in Mbale the people stormed to drive us home. Jess told me that all the drivers want to drive the white people and boy howdy she was right. People were pulling at me and talking so fast in Luganda. So Jess helped me out and off we went. Here is the scoop, there are is a huge employment deficit. So tons of men wait around to drive you wherever from point a to point b on a dirt bike. Jess was on one with my luggage and I was on another. My driver was suppose to follow Jess, but we got separated. He didn't remember which bank we were going to and I hadn't even heard that part of the instructions. So using the four directions that Jess gave me to get to the house I directed him to take me to the home. After ten minutes, asking directions from three little kids, and totally over paying him I was left on the side of the road alone in Uganda. No one speaks English and I really didn't know where else to go. I was freakin out a little bit, but I figured that if I just stayed on the road Jess would eventually find me. I walked around and some little kids rushed me. They all wanted a hug and I was happy to oblige. While I was standing there waiting two white college age girls rode up on dirt bikes and I knew I had found my place. Thank goodness! 

Now I have been introduced to everyone and am really really excited for sleep!!! It is beautiful here and I think I am addicted to the pinapple. 

No comments :

Post a Comment